This is the most d.a.n.g.e.r.o.u.s white toxin we eat every day, and it IS NOT sugar or salt
Do you know what is E621 or sodium glutamate ? Have you ever heard of this substance? You may be surprised to discover that you are consuming it daily and that it is wreaking havoc on your body.
Sodium glutamate E621, also known as monosodium glutamate or MSG , is a common additive found in almost all manufactured foods. There is hardly a restaurant in the world that does not use this flavor enhancer. It is currently one of the most harmful substances that we consume every day, without even realizing it.
Sodium glutamate E621 comes as a white crystalline powder, and is very similar to salt and sugar. It can also be found in liquid form. It tastes like a meat soup and can be added to any food to enhance its flavor. Sodium glutamate increases cravings, leading to overeating and obesity.
As we have already mentioned, this food additive is used in many popular food products, including sausages, hot dogs, French fries, prepared soups, preserves, beer and many more. The permissible daily dose for adults is 1.5 grams, and for children less than half a gram.
A noteworthy fact is that more than 200 thousand tons of this additive are used annually in the world. Common symptoms of E621 overdose include dizziness, migraine, visual disturbances, hormonal imbalance, nausea, weakness, chest pain, and others. All this is also known as the “Chinese restaurant syndrome”.
This common food additive has gained a lot of popularity in recent years. Although it improves the flavor and aroma of food products, sodium glutamate also brings with it numerous side effects. On the one hand, it affects the receptors on the tongue, making the food tastier than it really is. That is why it makes people addicted to processed foods like chips, sweets, ready meals and others.
Pooja Malhotra lists the other harmful effects of consuming excess of MSG:
1. Research says that over 2,00,000 tons of sodium glutamate is used all across the world. Excess consumption of this salt can cause problems like migraine, dizziness, hormonal imbalance, nausea, weakness, chest pain and much more.
2. Affecting our tongue receptors, sodium glutamate makes food tastier than it actually is and you want to have more and more of it leading to weight gain and obesity.
3. It makes us addicted to food in a way that we feel like eating anything and everything that we get when we feel hungry. Sodium glutamate has the same affect on the brain cells as drugs.
4. Indirect long term effects can include obesity and other metabolic disorders. Some studies have shown that there has been an increased number of cases of diabetes because of sodium glutamate in food.
5. Malfunctioning of the adrenal gland, high blood pressure or hypertension and stroke are other risks that can be caused by excessive consumption of sodium glutamate.
6. Other harmful effects include acute headache, muscle tightness, numbness, tingling sensation, flushing, weakness.
Avoid buying foods which have added MSG in them!
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.