When this 5-year-old boy awoke and found his Georgia home on fire, he didn’t panic. Though flames lashed through his bedroom and smoke filled the air, he calmly got out of bed, grabbed his sister and got out through an open window, which was the only available exit.
With his extraordinary deed, Noah was named an honorary firefighter and received a rare lifesavers award for his brave actions.
5-year-old Noah got out of the house safely with his 2-year-old sister, but everything didn’t end here. The boy ran back into his burning home, got the family dog and pulled it to safety. He then ran to the neighboring home of his uncle and, together, they were able to get the remaining six family members safely out of the house and contact the county’s fire department.
Bartow County fire officials were amazed at the young boy’s determination to get everyone out of the burning home.
“We’ve seen children alert their families before. But for a 5-year-old to be alert enough to do this… that’s pretty extraordinary.”, says Bartow County Fire Department Chief Dwayne Jamison.
Then the fire was determined to start from an overloaded electrical outlet in Noah’s bedroom.
“By the grace of God, all of our loved ones were able to get out of our home. If it wasn’t for Noah, we may not be here today.”, says Noah’s grandfather, David Woods, who was one of the family members sleeping inside the home when the blaze started:
In addition to being named an honorary fireman and earning the lifesavers award, Noah also received a congratulatory letter from Georgia governor Brian Kemp. That’s some pretty heavy-duty stuff, even for a 5-year-old.